Youth Leadership Program
The Youth Leadership Program is a dual program that carries out peer-to-peer outreach and also develops leadership skills and a sense of volunteerism in young men and women. This program designed for high school students offers personal growth through community service, volunteer activities and public awareness.
View flyer here.
The Youth Leadership Program (YLP) focuses on the communities surrounding the shelter with activities such as:
- Peer support – YLP members are trained and encouraged to become resources for their own peer who seek help.
- Social Conscience – YLP encourages young people to aspire to be valuable contributing members of their community and stresses importance of giving back and making an impact. A great deal of community engagement is fostered including monthly visits to local Motels that are homes to families on the brink of homelessness (click here to read more).
- Prevention Activities – YLP members participate in activities where they can spread awareness on alcohol, tobacco, homelessness, bullying and other concerns.
- Special Events – YLP members participate in Casa Youth Shelter events as well as organize and facilitates an annual Youth Leadership Conference, formatted like a professional business summit (click here to see photos). YLP is involved in every aspect of the planning process including sponsorship solicitation, venue selection, and arranging speakers.
- Awareness – YLP are avidly present at many community events including local festivals, races and cultural events. Members also host their own awareness events such as the annual Reality Party to promote social change with the dangers of teen parties (click here to read more).
- Business Savvy – At Casa Youth Shelter we believe it is important for youth to have a voice. A unique feature of YLP is its representation at Casa Youth Shelter’s Board of Directors monthly meetings to deliver a report. YLP also offers teens a forum to learn parliamentary procedures through their meetings.
YLP Member Requirements
YLP members apply and, if qualified, are accepted into the program. Each member attends training covering issues relevant to volunteering at a youth shelter, including training on topics including youth violence, abuse, confidentiality, boundaries, crisis phone calls and creative listening. All YLP members spend a minimum of four hours per month doing community service.
We always love bringing in new YLP members! To apply for membership, please email YLP@casayouthshelter.org. Please provide the following information:
- Full name
- Name of your high school
- Your grade level
- Your telephone number
For more information, please contact Pamela Sepulveda, Community Outreach Director at (562) 594-6825 or (714) 995-8601 or via email at email@example.com.